A Guide for Implementing Programs of Study in Wisconsin
This toolkit guides secondary educators and administrators through the process of developing Programs of Study to prepare youth for in-demand occupations. A Program of Study is a sequence of instruction available within a particular school district that combines coursework, co-curricular activities, worksite learning, service learning, and other learning experiences to prepare students for a career.
The toolkit is organized around the five phases of building a Program of Study (POS) and the 10 components of POS implementation that align under them:
· Laying the Groundwork: Researching best practices and collecting data about model POS based on local labor market information. Includes the components: Partnerships; Policies and Procedures; Professional Development; and Accountability and Evaluation Systems.
· Assembling a Team: Gathering a representative group of all stakeholders who will work together to guide the creation of a POS. Includes the components: Partnerships; Policies and Procedures; Professional Development; and Accountability and Evaluation Systems.
· Designing and Building a POS: Analyzing curricula to determine development and improvement needs. Includes the components: College and Career Readiness; Technical Skill Attainment; Articulation Agreements; Course Sequences; and Accountability and Evaluation Systems
· Implementing a POS: The detailed POS plan is put in place and students enroll in the program and continue on to post-secondary education. Includes the components: School Counseling and Academic Advising; Teaching and Learning; and Professional Development.
· Evaluating and Refining a POS: An evaluation plan is created that defines data needs, benchmarks, collection methods, and ways to refine the POS. Includes the components: School Counseling and Academic Advising; Teaching and Learning; and Professional Development.
Each phase includes a Planning Tool that allows for self-assessment of a school district’s progress (steps for moving from development to implementation to refinement). Each component includes a definition, steps or activities, an Evaluation Tool, and further resources.
Get Adobe Reader